Important files or folders accidentally deleted? Don’t panic right away, because there are several ways to restore deleted files on a Windows 10 laptop that can be used as an alternative solution. That way, users can get back all the files they need.
Every laptop user must have experienced unpleasant events, such as accidentally deleting an important folder. Although file loss can be prevented by backing up. However, if something goes wrong, you have to find another way to restore it.
How to Restore Deleted Files on the Most Powerful Windows 10 Laptop
If the files on a laptop with the Windows 10 operating system are accidentally deleted, then there is no need to worry. Because some of the ways below can restore your important folders or files:
1. Recover Deleted Files from Recycle Bin
Keep in mind, if a file is deleted it will not be permanently deleted by the Windows operating system. However, it will be stored in a folder called the Recycle Bin on the desktop. Besides being easy, how to restore folders from the Recycle Bin is also safe and free.
Below are the steps to restore deleted files from the Recycle Bin:
- Click “Start”.
- Select the “Settings” menu or the gear icon.
- Click “Personalization”.
- Select the “Themes” option.
- On the “Desktop Icon Settings” page, check the “Recycle Bin” section.
- Next, click “OK”.
- The Recycle Bin icon will appear on the desktop.
- To restore deleted files, open the “Recycle Bin” folder.
- Select the item or folder you want to restore or use the CTRL combination on the keyboard.
- Right click and select “Restore”.
- Wait a few moments until the file is successfully restored.
NB: It should be noted that files in the Recycle Bin can be deleted. To avoid this, you can right-click on the Recycle Bin page, then select Properties. Check the checkbox so that you get a confirmation prompt when the file will be deleted.
2. Recovering Files Via Command Prompt
Although the first method sounds easier to implement. However, what if a file or folder has been permanently deleted so that it cannot be found in the Recycle Bin? To overcome this situation, you can take advantage of the CMD or Command Prompt feature.
Guide to restore files using Command Prompt:
- To access CMD, you can use the search icon in the search field. (You can learn to access CMD).
- Right click “Command Prompt”.
- Select the “Run as Administrator” option.
- If the username already appears in “CMD”, enter the command “chkdsk X:/f”. However, first replace the letter X with the deleted file storage drive.
- Type the command “ATTRIB – H – R – S / S / D Drive Name:*:*”.
- The process of recovering deleted files will automatically run.
NB: During the file restore process, do not perform activities such as deleting, moving, or storing files on a laptop device. This must be done to prevent the accumulation of files that make it difficult for users to find deleted folders.
Please read these too.
- 10 Tricks To Speed Up Windows 10 Boot Time (Less Than 1 Minute)
- How To Increase C Drive Capacity (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- How To Use Storage Sense To Automatically Delete Unused Files In Windows
- 2 Ways to Deal With ‘This PC Can’t Run Windows 11’ Problem
3. How to Recover Deleted Files Using Recuva
Recuva is one of the famous file recovery software that is easy to operate. This software is available in free and paid versions, so users can choose the version according to their needs. Below is how to restore deleted files via Recuva software:
- Download and install the Recuva software on the device.
- Open the app.
- Select the file storage partition that you want to recover.
- Click the “Scan” icon to start the scanning process.
- Wait a few moments until the scanning is complete.
- All deleted files will be displayed.
- Check the checkbox on the left of the display.
- Select the files you want to restore.
- Click “Recovery”.
- Deleted files will be returned to the original storage location.
NB: Keep in mind, that files with the status “Unrecoverable” cannot be restored. File status can be seen in the State table.
4. Via File History
The next way to restore deleted files on a Windows 10 laptop is through File History. Below is a guide to restore deleted files using File History:
- Click the “Settings” menu.
- Select “Updates & Security”.
- Click “Backup”.
- Select the “Add a drive” option.
- A list of hard drives and external storage will be displayed that can be selected as a backup location by clicking “More Options”, then “Select a drive”.
- If you want to do periodic backups, click “Automatically backup my files”.
- Open the “Search” menu.
- Type in the “File History” option.
- Click the green restore icon on the bottom side of Windows.
Please read these too.
- Here’s How to Fix an Unreadable Hard Disk On Windows PC
- How To Fix Unreadable SD Card In Windows
- How To Create A System Restore Point On Windows 10
- How to Bypass TPM and Secure Boot Check For Installing Windows 11
5. Using Disk Drill
Another alternative for recovering deleted files is to use a tool called Disk Drill. This software is also available in a free version. So, it can be chosen by users who are looking for free tools.
Steps to restore deleted files with Disk Drill:
- Download DiskDrill.
- Open the Disk Drill software.
- Select the location of the drive where you want to save the deleted files.
- Check the “Recovery” menu.
- Select one of the “Deep Scan” or “Quick Scan” scan options.
- The recovery process will start.
- Click the “Recovery” menu in the upper right corner.
- Click “OK”.
- Wait a few moments until the scanning process is complete.
- Check the files in the drive of choice.
6. Using Windows Backup
This method can be used by Windows 10 users who have created or activated a Windows backup. Meanwhile, the file recovery methods that can be applied are as follows:
- Open “Control Panel”.
- Click “System and Maintenance”.
- Select “Backup and Restore (Windows 7) *”.
- Click “Restore my files”.
- Select “Browse for Files”.
- Click “In the original location”.
- Wait until the file scanning process is complete.
How to restore deleted files on a Windows 10 laptop can be done with Windows default features and applications, as well as third-party software. You can choose one way to recover files or folders that have been deleted according to your needs.